Whilst I'm fairly confident in my baking skills I definitely lack prowess in the decorating department. My grandiose attempts at fairly princess castles end up looking more like the leaning tower of Pisa. Recently I've put my (many) cake decorating books to one side and turned to Pinterest for easy decorating inspiration. Here's a few of my favourites:
1. A simple chocolate cake decorated with pretty pastel coloured meringues.
2. Chocolate cake filled and covered with chocolate buttercream and Maltesers. Be careful not to make too large a cake though - I used my largest sandwich tins and needed two of the largest boxes of Maltesers to cover it. It looked impressive though!
3. Cupcakes made with a simple vanilla sponge recipe, divided up and coloured with natural food dyes. Add some vanilla buttercream and jelly sweets and hey presto! Find the recipe here.
4. This is next on my list to try - chocolate brownies sandwiches together with vanilla ice cream before serving. Simple and impressive! A cake and pudding in one. Find the recipe here.
5. My kids love rice krispie cakes but I'd never thought of making one big one before seeing this. A fun quick alternative to a birthday cake.
6. I'm not a huge fan of sprinkles but I think this cake is stunning! I love the idea just not sure how it will turn out in reality. Love to hear from anyone who's tried it! Pinned from here.
7. Strawberries and cream - a winning combination for a summer party. Find the recipe here.
8. My current favourite - choose your easiest cake recipe, ice with butter cream and decorate with KitKats and Smarties/M&Ms. I made this for my daughter's 7th birthday party recently and it really is as easy and impressive as it looks. Here's how it turned out:
If you have any pictures of your own creations to share we 'd love to see them!